I promised to add to the inspiration board library, so I thought I would take some time to create the game-plan for my master bedroom.
I've mentioned before that I often like to begin the design process by thinking of the feeling, or even the emotion I hope to experience within the space when the room is complete. When it comes to my master suite, this was a pretty easy task.
If I had to choose one word to describe how I want my master suite to feel when the design is complete, that word would be tranquil.
We all know that life gets pretty busy sometimes, perhaps even hectic! I want the master suite to be the place where I can go to turn everything off from the outside world. My sanctuary, if you will.
So, here's the plan:
1. The color scheme for this room will be a soothing blend of green, beige, white, dark wood-tones, and a few touches of gold. Before I started this blog, Mark and I painted the master suite a lovely green color. I apologize, because I didn't keep track of the official name of the color, but I know that it was a Home Depot color match of a Benjamin Moore color. If you're looking for the exact color that we painted our room, I've added the mix information into the Selection Details section of this website; however, the great thing about this scheme is that it would work with various tones of earthy greens, so pick your favorite based off of the particular lighting of your space.
2. I'm so in love with this bed that it's even tempting to pay the full $606.99 that Overstock.com is asking. I might try to make this as well, but I would have to be sure that the quality would be the same or better. The price is actually reasonable, but it's still quite a bit to shell out. You better believe I'll be watching for Overstock sales!
3. This settee from Overstock.com is priced at $195.99, and would be perfect for the small seating arrangement my master suite will accomodate.
4. This sofa table from Overstock.com is priced at $109.00. I'm actually not going to be purchasing this exact piece, since it is slightly bigger than the space will allow. However, this is the basic concept that I will be looking for. I'm wanting to break away from the standard, cookie-cutter night stands, so using something like a console table, or a shelf will be the plan. I love the combination of metal and wood, espescially like this table here.
5. The price for this bench isn't listed on Ballard Design's website (never a good sign). It's probably because it is a custom order piece (you get to pick your fabric). I still like the idea of it though. I'm even playing with the idea of making this bench myself to save some cash.
6. This side table from West Elm is priced at $129.00, but the concept here is more important than the piece itself. I will be looking for something that is relatively small, but with a modern, smooth finish.
7. These curtains from Wal-mart are $21.97, and are 84 inches long. That's a little too short for my space, but if it works for yours, go grab these! If the 84 inch panels don't work for your space, you can try making your own version by using this method here.
9. These pillows from West Elm ($34.00 & $39.00), and this pillow from Z Gallerie ($49.95) combine the various colors in the scheme. Plus, with the right fabrics, these pillows could easily be sewn, for a much better price!
10. This mirror from Viva Terra is priced at $229.00. That’s a bit steep, but I love the natural beauty from the wood-grain in this piece. I will be on the look-out for a similar item that still offers the same elements, but without the hefty price tag.
11. This lamp from Homedecorators.com is $199.00 (yikes!), but it gives you the general idea of what to look for when you are shopping at Ross, TJ Maxx, or Home Goods. I'll bet you can find a similar lamp for much less!
12. There's just something about orchids that screams tranquility...or rather, softly whispers tranquility in a tranquil way...and since tranquility is what I'm going for, get ready to see some floral arrangements!
Well, that's it! What are your thoughts? Would any of you use this scheme in your own home? If you do use this Inspiration Board for a space in your home, please be sure to send photos of the completed project.
PS...You can see more Inspiration Boards by clicking here.